A friend recently told me
agnosticism is the most honest theological position out there. Well... I might
have agreed with him once, but not now. Here is my most un-Christiany
explanation of why I still love Jesus, read the bible, and go to church. I'll
keep it personal.
I was born into this
subculture of American evangelicalism. But I've never been given to blind
acceptance. Maybe it's because I was "securely attached" or maybe I
just prefer my beliefs to feel uber-real and personal. So when I was 15, I
branched out. I sampled a bit of teenage narcissism, grayed a few of my
parents' hairs, and got into more trouble than is appropriate to blog about.
But every moment, I somehow knew I would return to my Christian faith. I'll
admit I never really wanted to leave
Christianity.
A more serious season of
doubt came a few years ago. I was nearly swallowed alive by the crazy epistemological
assertions of Christianity. I mean, if I could know so little about ANYTHING,
how could I claim to have specific knowledge about the creator, much less claim
to know him personally and possess his blueprint for all human history. I also
wrestled with the cultural baggage of the faith. Was I culturally conditioned
to accept this crazy upside-down Christian gospel? Was Karma or an Islamic view
of God more sensible than grace? Those 6 months were dark, but even then I
admit I never wanted to leave my
faith for permanent agnosticism.
But why? What primal thing
beyond reason and logic compels me toward the Christian faith? Beyond the
comfort of the familiar, what deep-seated need did the Christian gospel
continue to meet in me even when the whole thing seems like medieval nonsense?
Here's my running list in no particular order...
1. The gospel makes me feel "seen". I'll spare you the sappy
middle-child saga. But suffice it to say it's powerful for me to feel known. And known is exactly what I feel in
a personal relationship with God. Some of my most ass-kickingest times with
Jesus are when I feel like he gets me
and chooses to relate with me accordingly. Rather than bestowing his Jesus-mojo
on all humanity, I think he relates to each person individually and I like
that. God is not a one-size-fits-all Father just keeping his head above water
with a billion kids on his hands. In my experience, agnosticism is a great
orphan-maker. But Jesus makes me part of a family.
2. It's not fair and that's a good thing. I mean really. It's not fair
that God doesn't just measure good and bad deeds on a scale. It's not fair that
"good people" can go to hell while a murderer begging forgiveness on
death row would actually receive it (see Luke 18). Thankfully, I know I'm a
mess I'm not about to say my messedupness is everybody else's fault. I know how
damning my actions (and attitudes) are and I see how badly a "fair"
system would work out for me. So I suppose I'm happy to accept grace, offensive
as it can be.
3. The gospel is art. I just think the whole thing is awfully pretty.
It's such a compelling and curious story: God relentlessly pursuing people,
taking the initiative, turning the created order on its head. Death through
life, glory through humiliation, strength through weakness. I'm a sucker for
gospel paradoxes.
4. Miracles are real. I think I've seen enough to substantiate that:
legs growing, spines aligning, prophecies fulfilling.... in front of me. If I
can accept those "little" miracles, maybe I can reasonably accept
some wild claims from trusted sources of legit resurrections, exorcisms, healings,
and plenty of other stuff for which "psychosomatic" explanations
would be a hell of a leap of faith. The funny thing to me though is that the
miracles people claim happen "in Jesus name" are a totally different
breed than the ones that happen in other religious systems. Other worldviews
contain accounts of crazy human feats, bizarre ghost stories, messages in the
clouds, and the like. But the Christian stories seem to swallow all others
whole. I just haven't heard ANY hint of an invoke-able spiritual authority
greater than Jesus.
Well, enough for now. My
list keeps growing…. Stay tuned for part 2.
I appreciate the honesty Nathan. I gotta say I can relate too. I'm glad God is big enough to take us questioning Him and loving enough to draw us back in.
ReplyDeleteYour brother in Christ,
Brian
Thanks Brian. That's one of my gospel favs: that I threw out my scariest questions and God was like, "alright, what now?"
Delete