There’s nothing harder for a fixer than to be emotionally
present with someone you love someone experiencing pain as intense, natural,
and unfixable as childbirth. After almost 48 hours of contractions, I was at my
wits end. I had already raked my mind for every birth-coaching nugget I could
remember from TV and the stories of friends. It all felt paltry and shallow.
Believe it or not, saying, “breathe baby. Just breathe,”
over and over doesn’t go over so well in real life! You can’t promise that the
pain will end soon. It won’t. When I tried giving her space, she felt alone. It
felt patronizing to keep saying, “you’re amazing, you’ve so got this, you can
do it!” Even when I soothed, “It’s okay, it’s okay,” she assured me, “It’s NOT
okay!”
The only thing that seemed to help was when I stood next to
her during every contraction, holding her hand and simply saying, “I’m here.
I’m with you.” That’s what we did for the better part of yesterday. It felt
like the kindest thing I could do under the circumstances.
But the labor has been traumatic so far. I’ve never seen
pain like it and by the time we finally opted for an epidural last night, I was
crying and nearly blacking out from the stress.
| Me after 48 hours. Yoiks! |
Again, it got me thinking about the way God interacts with
people in pain. He could be like the rude young anesthetist last night poking,
prodding, and eventually numbing the pain. Instead, he chooses to be more like
the kind midwife, putting a hand on our shoulder, looking us in the eyes,
monitoring and guiding the process gently, but mostly just being there,
assuring us that we’re not alone.
Something I’m learning is that God’s presence is the best
gift possible. I get so focused on the fear of pain and failure. But happiness
and success aren’t the point. God is. Not in some heady, esoteric way, but in a
real nuts-and-bolts way.
Since I got back from Ghana, everything in my life has felt
different: permeated by a sense of purpose, expectancy, awe, and a hearty does
of pain... Kind of like being pregnant! I’m aware of God’s mysterious and
breathtaking beauty in the intricate cogs of my life (everything from the
Fulani to my music to living in Georgia). I’m also aware of His intimate and
personal presence. That feeling of being caught up in something bigger than me,
yet being known and loved by a present and personal God... it delivers
tremendous comfort and peace.
At the same time, I’ve been staring down the gullet of my
life’s deepest hurts through an emotional healing group I lead every week. And
unlike before, it’s not that scary. Excruciating. But not scary. I feel the
weight of grief more closely than before. But I’m really comfortable with that
feeling because I also carry this sense that God is with me. Not fixing, not
even carrying the burden, just walking next to me saying “I’m here. I’m with
you.” And right now, that’s more than enough.
PS- After the trauma of the epidural last night, we both
collapsed and slept from 1-6:30. Debra’s labor is now progressing more swiftly...
and she’s having the best sleep of her life. I’m at Starbucks, excited to meet
little Juniper Joy Harkness and experience the beauty of her life in contrast
to the crappiness of the last couple days. It feels like the last couple days
have been a dying wilderness... ushering in a new season of life with Juniper. Stay
tuned!
PPS- more on the name "Juniper Joy" here!
Nate, This so beautiful..Love, pain, presence and joy all wrapped together, as each grows more intense.
ReplyDelete