Toby Mac stood in front of thousands of people at the main stage
one night and opened his bible to Psalm 40. He read, “He put a new song in
my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear the Lord and
put their trust in him.” And in that moment, a whisper came into my head
with an electric warmth, which has become a familiar friend over the years. The
whisper pointed toward that big bright stage and said, “This is your new song.
This is your stage.”
I was 17. I had come to the end of myself the summer before
in teenage angst and rebellion and finally concluded that only Jesus could help
me. That year in school I grew in leaps and bounds even while I battled
depression, arrogance, and relapses into narcissism.
In the spring I read Psalm 40 and it leapt off the page. It
seemed to want to say something important to me. So I carried it around for
months, asking God to show me what it meant. He seemed to reply, “I have a new
song for you and you don’t know what it is yet.”
When Toby Mac (of ALL people) read my verse and I looked up
at the glitz and glamour of that stage like someone looking into his own
future, my response wasn’t excitement or pride. It was confusion, mixed with a
little fear, but also the peaceful resignation that if God wanted me singing
songs about him on some main stage in some future life... he would work out the
details. That night, I just worshipped.
Over the next 13 years, I wrote music... LOTS of music. I
wrote good music, bad music, authentic, angsty, and idealistic music. I wrote
prolifically and passionately. I recorded an album (just me and my guitar) at
my Dad’s radio station, another one in college, and 2 more in my friend’s
basement... always just me and my guitar, adding harmonies, cello parts, piano.
But never daring to bring in other musicians. And outside of the occasional
open mic night, I rarely played my songs in public.
2 years ago I was living in Chicago and I had a long
conversation with God about this. At that time, he asked me what I wanted out
of my music. I told him I wanted to pursue it, to work hard and become a “real”
singer-songwriter, to have a stage to sing songs about Him. That same whisper
replied, “Okay. You can have it.” Well... I turned 30 this year and guess what?
I’m having my first ever concert next week.
I worked through last fall (with varying success) to gather
a band. I had to drag my music out of my brain and onto paper. I felt I was
dissecting and sometimes prostituting a part of me, which up until now had
mainly been a private soul-language. I had to ask people to believe in me. It
was (and is) terrifying and triggering. But I booked the venue, set the date,
and ready or not here we go!
Debra reminds me that this is just a first step. But for me,
a debut performance after 13 years of fits and starts is a big deal. God also
keeps encouraging me to keep it simple, to be pastoral, and not to worry about
numbers or making the music perfect. Ultimately, the stage is His. It’s not a
tool to promote my ideas or myself. It’s a venue to share through art, what I
know about Him... to talk about my journey with Him and invite people into
their own journeys with Him.
So I’m doing my best to be faithful, to be myself, to work
hard, and to fight perfectionism. Over the weekend I felt like I was getting
ulcers, but today I’m peaceful and focused.
Next Saturday at 7pm at Grace Evangelical Church in
Fayetteville... I’ll get up with my guitar, Debra singing harmonies, Michael
playing cello and accordion, and Michael #2 drumming away. I’ll sing these
songs I’ve written in my soul-language, “a hymn of praise to our God.” And I
hope that people can step into my journey and feel a little bit of God’s heart
for them.
Throughout the room, there will be artwork from people at
the church. There will also be people I’ve asked to tell stories about THEIR
encounters with the goodness of God. This is my best attempt at talking about
spiritual formation through art
instead of books, blogs, sermons, and bible studies. It’s less about delivering
the right content and more about creating the right atmosphere. Well.... here
goes nothing!
For more about the concert: https://www.facebook.com/events/466282540140026/466282546806692/?comment_id=466546993446914¬if_t=event_mall_comment
For more about my music (and to listen free online): nathanharkness.bandcamp.com

Hey Nate I'm super excited for you! I know that is a huge step. It's why I never play my music with anyone else or try to do "jam sessions" with anyone. Go get 'em dude!
ReplyDelete