So on Thursday, I said to my friend, “I need to buy a bus
ticket for tomorrow.”
“Okay,” my friend replies. I’ll pick you up at 9:45.
By 10:30, we were at a coffee shop sipping macchiatos... In
Ethiopia, you find ANY excuse to sip macchiatos... 2 hours later, we’re still
sitting there. His “friend”, he insists, is 5 minutes away and he will help us.
An hour later, a big Ethiopian contractor guy pulls up in an old Mercedes. My
friend opens the door and motions for me to get in the car. I hesitate. “This
is my friend,” he says. “He is very generous. Go with him. I’ll see you later.”
“Okay...” I hesitate. “Will I meet you back here or go back
to the hotel?” Vague affirmations that we’ll figure it out follow until I drive
away with the big certain I have no idea what’s going on.
My new friend drives me all over town shouting, “Sky bus ticket
office?!” to random strangers until we find ourselves (after several false
starts) in a poorly-marked office on the 3rd floor of a mall. And
all the tickets for tomorrow are sold out.
As we are leaving defeated, a young man wanders up muttering
something about Bahar Dar and ends up selling me his ticket, the last seat on
the bus. “The miracle ticket,” my new contractor friend calls it.
On the way back the way back to my hotel, we have to stop
for an hour to get lunch. Then he “drops by” the market to pick up some
materials (which takes over an hour due to unknown people running around
shouting unknown things in an unknown language and generally not telling me
what’s going on. At last after 8 hours, I’m back at the hotel having
accomplished my one thing for the day (well half of one thing.... I was told I
would have to buy the return ticket in Bahar Dar, but don’t worry. They are 95%
sure there will be plenty of space on the bus coming home.)
So this morning at 5AM, I sat down in the back row of the bus
feeling like a very squished foreigner indeed. 2 hours into our 9-hour trip, we
started careening down steep switchbacks into a 1km deep gorge with
breathtaking and terrifying views. The two giggly muslim high school girls on
my left took turns puking in a bag. Finally I fell asleep and when I woke up
one of the girls was sleeping soundly on my shoulder, her arm draped casually
across my knee. Only in Ethiopia I
thought.
After two some great Ethiopian elevator music and two
home-grown Ethiopian films, we arrived at our destination sweltering because
the guy on my right insisted that the cool breeze was like evil spirits blowing
across his body and would surely make him sick.
The payoff came though in the form of macchiatos overlooking
lake Tana under a veranda next to a giant sycamore bowing its ancient limbs
near the water. The coffee in that region (Zegie) is some of the best I’ve had
and is shade-grown on the lakeshore by monks and family farmers but has yet to
make its debut in America (to the best of my knowledge). I first had it 2 years
ago on a small island in the lake where a family served us from their private
crop grown under the shade of an 800-year-old monastery. “Sacred coffee” I
called it. I was enchanted. Now I’m dreaming of introducing it to the American
market. Holy Zegie macchiatos for all!
Oh... did I mention, that I went to the ticket office here and all the buses for Monday are FULL???? Wuh wuuuuuhh....... Squishy minibus anybody?
Good to read your update Nate. Praying, proud of you.
ReplyDelete