(Warning: this one contains a good
bit of shop talk about pedagogy and program implementation. I won’t be offended
if you get bored!)
Zambia is hot in October. Not
ridiculously hot, and the beads of perspiration evaporate instantly into the
dry season dust. Still, throughout the afternoon all twelve men squirmed and
blinked at each other in the churched as we waited for the sun to sink lower in
the sky. But 95 and dry was a walk in the park compared to Ghana’s 106 and
humid. We all soldiered on.
Mindolo Baptist church is settled
inside a walled compound with a parish, a dirt patch in the corner to burn
garbage, and about 20 cars from the community parked in the security of the
compound for a small daily fee. Some of the trucks had been abandoned by the
owners and were now pillaged skeletons.
The twelve men sat circled inside
for something unique within Zambia: a Restoring Your Heart training. I say it’s
unique because in an emotionally siloed and intensely gendered country with few
good counselors and fewer support groups (especially for men), the news of a
bunch of pastors and church elders starting a string of emotional healing
groups for men is sure to raise some eyebrows. At one time I wondered if it
would be relevant. Perhaps the ultra-polite Zambian culture had mechanisms to
encourage emotional health and deal with problems. If there is, neither I, nor
my Zambian friends seem to know about it. Because when I introduced the idea to
a group of Zambian pastors a couple years ago that emotional healing is tied to
spiritual growth, the response was cacophonous: Come back prepared to teach
more on this subject or else.
So last week I returned with a
stack of workbooks and teaching notes ready to train some leaders. I knew what
I wanted them to do: start Restoring Your Heart groups under supervision. But
to accomplish this I needed to get through some significant logistical
obstacles.
Obstacle #1: Materials. I brought
some nice workbooks for the leaders but it won’t be enough for 50 new group
members come January. So we visited an industrial printer, got a quote, made a
plan for a first run of English books and a second run of Bembe books once they
get translated. Check.
Obstacle #2: Cost. The more I work
in Africa, the more I realize that free equals non-valuable most of the time. But in Zambia, the
shadow of Western paternalism casts an ugly shadow on anything you give away.
So we opened it up to the leaders and came up with a cost for groups that
everyone felt was reasonable and that would ensure the ministry becomes
self-sustaining as the groups grow. Check.
Obstacle #3: Training. No
inspiring sermon or fascinating lecture could cause this group to internalize
everything they need to learn and apply in leading this group, understanding
emotional needs, spotting depression, understanding the grieving process,
understanding forgiveness, building an emotional vocabulary, completing
developmental tasks, etc.
So I slowed the group down and
systematically opened each topic up for conversation. I made sure all the major
points were covered but I wanted them to find the answers on their own. And
they did. Then I gave tests every day. The first one was a train wreck but the
rest got progressively better and reinforced the major points. I let one of
them lead a session and we did a group critique. I took them through the experience
they would soon lead and made them do the homework they would ask their
participants to do. We even did role-plays. The letters of forgiveness they
read out loud in the group on Thursday morning were wonderfully cathartic and
some of them reported a “weight being lifted.” Others shared things they have
never spoken to another living soul. It was beautiful.
In the end, I was happy with their
comprehension. I was also happy with their buy-in. 8 of the guys indicated
their intention to start a group of their own. I’d lie if I said I was fully
confident in them as group leaders but I think with good coaching and ongoing
training they can get there. Which brings me to...
Obstacle #4: Follow up. This has
perhaps been the biggest missing piece in other training seminars. We have no
natural mechanism to monitor progress and develop people over a period of time.
This is my first stab at a follow-up plan but I think it’s a step forward. So
those who want to start a group will do so in together in January and be part of
an email coaching group for the next 8 months. Every 2 weeks, I’ll send them a
training resource and require a few reflective questions including questions or
problems in their group. The email group is only for group leaders. Then I’ll
do a follow-up training with those leaders next July as well as a round 1
training for women (I’ll need to find a gal to come along for that). This plan
gives us accountability, a natural funnel to identify serious leaders, and
shows them that we’re committed to developing them. The next couple months will
be telling. It’s a start though right?
Personally, it has felt good to
release myself from the pressure to entertain people or put on a great seminar
with a potent delivery. I told the guys this week that I have very little
interest in teaching people. But I have loads of interest in helping people
learn and grow. I’m interested in building good connections with a smaller
group of leaders and working with them over a course of years. I think it lines
up better with who I am anyway.

No comments :
Post a Comment