A host of new research has been lauding the health benefits
of fasting lately. Water fasts in
particular (as opposed to juice or other fasts) have been lauded for their
effectiveness in slowing the aging process, strengthening the immune system,
reducing the risk of diabetes, and inducing cellular reparation (google it). Some doctors
are even calling it a “cancer insurance policy”.
But my introduction to fasting came through the pathway of Christian
spirituality, not medicine. So my interest in fasting has been primarily for
spiritual reasons, though I admit the health benefits are compelling. I’ve fasted
occasionally over the last 15 years or so, mainly to improve my prayer life,
hear from God, and grow spiritually. While I’ve had some interesting experiences,
during most of my fasts I felt further from God, not closer. So I just figured
the point of fasting was to learn perseverance in the midst of physical
discomfort and fatigue.
But in the last year or two my spiritual life has deepened
in some interesting ways. Suddenly, fasting has begun to make sense to me as
I’ve developed a spiritual life based less on achievement and more on “abiding
in Christ”; consistently experiencing His real (i.e. not metaphorical or
contrived) Presence and interacting with him throughout the day on an emotional
and spiritual level as well as an intellectual level.
In light of the dramatic shifts in my spiritual life over
the last year or two, I’ve gained some clarity on why it is often so difficult
for those who (like me) come from a conservative evangelical background to
embrace fasting as a desirable spiritual practice.
I think that evangelical culture going back to the periods
following the Great Awakenings of the 18th century have been deeply
shaped by an enlightenment worldview that bred suspicion against contemplative
Christianity. These evangelical movements often championed a rationalist
epistemology that focused on spiritual growth (sanctification) through right
doctrine, biblical knowledge, and mind-based prayer over and against spiritual
practices such as abiding prayer, meditation, and fasting.
So when evangelicals fast they often find their spiritual
practices, which are largely based on mentally rigorous bible-reading,
intercessory prayer, intellectual stimulation, and reflective writing get
torpedoed by the inevitable mental fatigue we experience in fasting, especially
in the first couple days. In our desire for spiritual achievement, we’ve lost
our ability to cultivate restful spiritual practices. Fasting challenges that
and it is uncomfortable.
Even those who engage God more through emotions than
intellect may experience some disillusionment while fasting since the mental
fatigue of fasting impacts our emotional capacity as well. I find that at
different points I become irritable (especially on day 2) or I feel emotionally
dull. But I’ve had a few experiences where in spite of feeling mentally and
emotionally “low” I’m able to have a vibrant experience with God on what I can
only call a “soul” level. Actually, the experience of fasting bolstered my
belief in the soul as something separate from the brain. I think fasting can
help us understand the form and function of our spirits and how they interact
with God’s Spirit on a sub-cognitive level. I believe we are integrated beings
and that our life with God works best when body, mind, heart, and soul are
fully developed in relationship to God. But it seems that evangelicals are not
good at engaging their own spirits with God’s Spirit due to inbred suspicions
or simple inexperience. Thus our spiritual lives become anemic and need focused
attention to develop properly. I think fasting can help with that.
I’ve already alluded to this, but fasting majorly challenges
our achievement-based mindset by imposing physical limits, which impact our
ability to work, strive, and achieve. I find I have to slow everything down. I
walk slower. I perform tasks much more slowly and deliberately and I have to
have patience with myself as I may not be able to accomplish as much during a
fast. This is actually really healthy for me since I’m a natural doer and am
not good at resting and imposing physical limitations to cultivate rest with
God.
I want to propose that we not view fasting primarily as a
way to achieve or gain something from God (such as an answer to prayer or
direction on a major life decision) but as a way to be with God in weakness and
to form the character of our souls. Is it enough to fast just to cultivate a
restful “present-ness” with Jesus that doesn’t need to gain anything from Him?
Can we be content to let God shape us in the dull, weak, and painful parts of
fasting rather than using a fast to shape God according to our desires?
If this resonates with you, can I propose a little
experiment? (Of course, you can tailor this to fit your needs). Try a 5 day
fast. I thought this was a radical idea until I read about the many people who
regularly perform 10, 15, even 30 day water fasts for health benefit alone! So
really 5 days isn’t such a big deal is it? J
Drink lots of water. I also do black coffee and unsweetened tea for variety
(and because... its coffee... I mean seriously).
During the fast, don’t put any pressure on yourself to read
large chunks of the bible or have epic intercessory prayer sessions. This time is
for cultivating rest and embracing God’s restful presence in your life. That
being said, have grace for yourself when you find at times you feel restless,
irritable, and very very hungry. That’s normal and will fade after a couple
days so don’t over-spiritualize it. When you’re ready, turn your attention to
the Father in simple meditative prayer. Don’t worry about saying much or
needing to hear anything specific from Him. Just be with him and enjoy His
presence. If you like, you can grab a single verse or phrase from scripture to
mull over. If you’re up for it, you can even try meditating on a single verse
for an hour or more and see what it does to your insides. Better, yet ask him
what HE wants to do in you and how He wants you to spend your fast and just
listen to him. You might be surprised by how He leads you. And have fun!
I hope that those of us from a conservative evangelical
background (especially us in the west) can learn to enjoy fasting from a place
of Rest rather than from a place of striving. Because beyond its physical
benefits fasting from Rest can become a rich and spiritually formative experience.
It can challenge our paradigms for spiritual life while nurturing our souls on
a very deep level and cultivating intimacy with God. If you try your own
fasting experiment, I’d love to hear how it goes!
No comments :
Post a Comment