1.10.2013

Amharic for "open door" = ufda


“You know, our church is very slow on inviting ‘Farenje’ (foreign people),” Zakarias said as we huffed our way 3 miles up the hill in Addis Ababa. “Because of the language difference but also because many of the white people’s content is not good, in the area of inviting foreigners, our church is very strong (Zakarias’ word for suspicious and strict).” I stopped to catch my breath and take in the panorama of Addis surrounded by mountains and crowned with Coptic churches. “You know,” he continued, “these people are very slow to open their hearts to strangers but once they trust you, they are really wonderful. So I know God’s favor is on you guys because the people, they really like you.”

We could tell God was doing something because in our first two days of seminars the attitude of our participants has changed dramatically from skeptical cordiality to warm welcome and genuine excitement. People were telling Dave they “really felt something like the Holy Spirit” when he was teaching. Even Zekarias breaking from his cool calculating demeanor, leaned over wide-eyed and whispered “Whoa. He is… wonderful.” Though of course if you know Dave, you know he’s implacably humble (which is part of what endears everyone to him.) I’m neither humble nor wonderful but I felt my sessions went well and were generally well received.

I've been thinking a lot about how Jesus said, “take my yoke upon you and learn from me for I am gentle and humble in heart,” and how those of us who aspire to ministry have take on a dozen other yokes besides the easy/light one Jesus offers. We imagine we can outgrow the humility and self-sacrifice Jesus modeled in favor of big successful ministries. Sitting there in a tiny coffee shop sipping tiny espressos with deep-eyed pastor Melki today, we wondered aloud together why discipleship has been so widely abandoned worldwide. And I nearly teared up as I shared that fear… that in spite of what we read in the gospels, we tenderly lay it aside as just a bit too idealistic or unattainable… and follow the model of the successful pastors in big churches instead, surrendering love-filled discipleship on the altar of “impact”.

Everyone we talked to agreed that discipleship was the church’s number one issue--especially as a rapidly-growing church of young believers—and that the teaching met a very real felt need. In turn they paid close attention to the material and were unusually astute in the group exercise.

One pastor who frowned seriously through most of the day issued a sober invitation for us to teach 91 pastors he works with in the far western rural parts of Ethiopia. (We’d be getting closer to the people I love, the Fulani. Yes please.)

Zekarias, when it was clear that we would NOT be extending our tickets an extra two weeks for additional seminars (Debra, I guessed you wouldn't be happy about that one), asked us to pray about coming again in May. Urgh….. dare I pray about it?

The real proof for me that we are “in” is that after attending the seminar, the pastors changed their Sunday plans and asked us to preach. Knowing their distrust for foreigners, we felt this was a huge step for them in trusting us.

Ethiopians as I've said, have shown themselves to be dignified. They’ve insisted on treating us to classy restaurants and paying for everything that touches our lips. While more suspicious and reserved than other Africans, their hospitality is genuine and they treat us as equals (refreshing in light of the exaggerated deference we sometimes receive.)

THESE Ethiopians are a particularly exciting group to work with because they are well outside the range of groups WDA would normally train. It really is only through a “fluke” seating assignment on a plane and God-nudges on both sides that we've received favor and open doors with this group, which is usually inaccessible to people like us. I think that’s absolutely a crazy-providential God thing. We've all thought so from the beginning.

Should a good missionary confess to a day spent soaking in natural hot springs? Maybe I'm not a good missionary... but after swimming in an olympic sized pool of warm mountain water surrounded by monkeys and palm trees... Zekarius took us to a "shower room" where huge pipe dump a gallon per second of untreated near-scalding spring water. Then we went to a smaller pool where 3 levels of nearly-unbearable but incredibly relaxing water effective gelatinized all 3 of us. As is his custom, Zekarias took us to a restaurant where the waitress brought him a full kilogram of raw steak cut fresh from the cow 20 feet away. As is our custom, we asked her to please cook ours!

By the way, Zekarius told us this morning that we are the 3rd and 4th white people he remembers being allowed to preach in the Full Gospel church in Ethiopia during his 17 years there. 

2nd seminar starts tomorrow. Hoping for another good response and good implementation after we leave!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog design by Get Polished | Copyright Nate Harkness 2017