I’m reading slowly through the life of Jesus according to
Mark. I thought you might like to join me. J
Here’s the first chunk of chapter 1 for your reference:
1 The beginning of the good news about Jesus the Messiah,[a] the Son of God,[b] 2 as
it is written in Isaiah the prophet:
“I will send my messenger ahead of you,
who will prepare your way”[c]—
3 “a voice of one calling in the wilderness,
‘Prepare the way for the Lord,
make straight paths for him.’”[d]
who will prepare your way”[c]—
3 “a voice of one calling in the wilderness,
‘Prepare the way for the Lord,
make straight paths for him.’”[d]
4 And so John the
Baptist appeared in the wilderness, preaching a baptism of
repentance for the forgiveness of sins. 5 The
whole Judean countryside and all the people of Jerusalem went out to him.
Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River. 6 John
wore clothing made of camel’s hair, with a leather belt around his
waist, and he ate locusts and wild honey.7 And
this was his message: “After me comes the one more powerful than I, the straps
of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie. 8 I
baptize you with[e] water, but he will baptize
you with[f] the Holy Spirit.”
It
makes sense to tie John to the Old Testament though because Jesus later says
that for those that can accept it, John was the “Elijah” that was to preceded
the Messiah.
Now
hold on. Didn’t John say that he WASN’T Elijah? Here’s how I figure it. John
didn’t imagine himself to be Elijah resurrected. But Jesus understood that he
was a TYPE of Elijah (or if you prefer, Elijah was a type of John). In other
words, everything Elijah represented, John perfected.
Both
Elijah and John had that wild-eyed prophetic bent. Both guys confronted sin in
their nation. Both guys were fed by God in the desert. Both prepared the way
for someone greater. (In Elijah’s case it was Elisha who got double-mojo from
Elijah and did way more miracles. So you might also say Elisha was a type of
Jesus.)
Now
here’s something I find really interesting: John preached a baptism of
repentance for the forgiveness of sins… for
the forgiveness of sins! Is this the cart before the horse? Wasn’t Jesus
supposed to die first to make this very forgiveness possible? So where did John
get the chutzpah to offer God’s forgiveness
to people? This is way outside the box. The law said forgiveness came through
sacrifice. But John’s saying forgiveness comes when you say sorry to God and change
your mind about sin. At first blush this seems like a gaping hole in the
history of atonement theology. What’s the significance of saying sorry? What’s
the efficacy of repentance? And what does atonement offer that an apology
cannot? Or did John recognize that repentance is just one step in the process
of forgiveness culminating in the cross? I don’t have the answer. I’d love to
hear your explanation.
One
thing was clear: John’s baptisms acted as a massive razor-sharp plow in the
heart of the Jewish nation, tilling the spiritual soil for the seeds Jesus
would plant. He was a waymaker.
And a
waymaker was just about ALL he was. John was no renaissance man. He was a
single-purpose guy. And when that purpose was fulfilled, he went to prison and
got himself executed. And this, according to Jesus, was the greatest man ever
born to date (though in the kingdom, the least person would be greater than
him).
John
knew his purpose on the earth. He focused all his energy on that purpose. Then
he went home.
So
what’s your purpose on planet earth? As best you can tell, why are you here?
For me
it’s tempting to try to be and do everything.
I want to be an incredibly complex and multi-talented person who
single-handedly changes the world. Why do I have that compulsion? Honestly, I
think it’s because I’m addicted to being appreciated. I want everybody to like
me and think I’m great. But John didn’t want to be great. He just wanted to do
his job. So what’s my job?
As best
I can tell, here’s my life’s purpose:
1.
Get
to know God. Grow more in love with Him.
2.
Express
that love by learning to love people around me, especially the family God has
entrusted to me.
3.
Make
a spiritual investment in the continent of Africa, helping others get to know
God and grow more in love with Him.
And if
that’s ALL I do in my life, that’s plenty.
I also
dream of being a musician, teacher, mentor, writer, globe-trotter,
community-maker, etc. But I think that might be more about wiring than calling.
I hope I get to have lots of different adventures in God’s kingdom. But I need
to let go of the idea that God’s plan for me will help me get my approval fix.
Like John I want to understand my small purpose in the presence of someone much
greater than me. I want a slow, single-minded deliberateness to chip away at
that purpose as God leads me, and to accomplish my small purpose in the bigger
story with wide-eyed intentionality.
PS- anybody want comment on the baptism of the Holy Spirit that Jesus was supposed to bring? I left that part out but I think it's profound.
No comments :
Post a Comment