Phlegm in my lungs, in my nose, in every pore. Feeling like
death warmed over. Responsible for one feverish baby and one fashion diva while
Debra was away this weekend. Exhausted before the day even started, I sat in this
chair yesterday nursing a cup of coffee thinking with some anxiety about the
day’s plans.
I had been asked to lead worship at a small Vineyard church
half an hour away and had picked out seven high-octane songs, which were now
way out of my soar-throated range. I also envisioned the inevitable scenario of
having to wear Levi on my back the whole time.
We’ve done that sort of thing before, but it requires a
taste for ambiguity.
But perhaps the greater anxiety was coming from the
post-church pizza picnic I had planned with a new friend. See, I started this
online meetup group for non-religious folks in my area. My thinking was that
it’s a bummer that people who can’t or won’t affiliate with a church or
religious group should have to live isolated lives outside of meaningful
community. I also thought that in light of my near total estrangement from
southern church culture, I may find significant friendships myself that will
challenge my church-bubble molds in some healthy ways. Mutually beneficial,
supportive, non-evangelistic relationships across a spectrum of spiritual
backgrounds. It’s an experiment I know, and one I’ve felt called, compelled,
pushed to undertake. But I’ve asked myself constantly if I’m way out of my
depth. Well, the leader of another free-thought society contacted me and we set
it up to meet for pizza in the park. I felt… a number of feelings.
But as I sat in my stained, white IKEA chair, my brain
swimming in a cozy blanket of fat and mucus, a mysterious reference floated
into my consciousness: “Mark 4:28”. The thought grew louder and louder until I
opened my bible hesitantly to find out just what gives. Jesus compares the “kingdom”
(the authority of God) to a farmer scattering seeds. Regardless of the farmer’s
ambition or activity, “all by itself, the soil produces grain—first the stalk,
then the head, then the full kernel in the head.”
I want to be careful with the application. The whole farming
metaphor has too often fed into a, “go hand out tracts and get some converts”
mentality. Actually the application I find is much more AND much less involved
on our part.
But for me, the thing I needed to hear was that it’s okay to
just show up to life as weak, wimpy, and honest. Because I don’t control the
growth of people or projects. Not really. I like the humility of the farmer. He
works hard but knows at the end of the day that soil and sun and rain are going
to do the heavy lifting. He’s a clod-covered cultivator, dignified in
ordinariness, naturally doing what he can
do and joyfully observing that which he can’t.
I can’t make God show up at church. I can’t make an atheist
or a bible-thumper think I’m wonderful. I can’t conjure up approval. I can’t
create growth or community. I can be myself. I tend to think that being oneself
is the apparatus for seed sowing. The only question is… what kind of seed? Or
maybe the “fragrance” analogy is more apt here? Do you smell like beauty or
death? It’s tough to hide what comes out of your pores even when you have a
nice perfume.
But having been one’s self, I suppose the subsequent release
is designed to be joyful. We clod-covered cultivators dance happily with the
design of the soil and genetic coding of beautiful and nourishing plants. Not
because I did it. Because I was never supposed to do it.
Okay, enough of that! The music thing went well. My voice
gone, a feverish baby on my back, I felt a rushing out of some pretense I may
have otherwise carried in with me. And something special happened which I had
nothing to do with.
(check us rock stars out! No he's not sleeping. He's scoping out the lights!)
And the picnic was nice. My friend comes from what he calls “soft atheism” which tends to value relationships, health, and philanthropy. I genuinely liked him. I related with his evaluation of the religious community I come from. I appreciated his perspective. If he can tolerate my faith, I think he’ll be good for me.
(check us rock stars out! No he's not sleeping. He's scoping out the lights!)
And the picnic was nice. My friend comes from what he calls “soft atheism” which tends to value relationships, health, and philanthropy. I genuinely liked him. I related with his evaluation of the religious community I come from. I appreciated his perspective. If he can tolerate my faith, I think he’ll be good for me.
A missionary friend once told me he found it easier to get
along with people who shared his philosophy of ministry—his way of interacting
with people and cultures—than with people who merely shared his theology. I
suppose that makes sense and it helps me understand why though I am a
Christian, I may wake up one day to find that some of my best friends are not.

No comments :
Post a Comment