9.24.2013

Odwira: yams, ancestors, and Jesus

Today I was at the Akrofi-Christaller institute in Ghana, one of Africa’s most prestigious theological schools. In terms of vigorous theological thinking and training from an authentically African perspective, Akrofi is the place. My friend, Ash came here from America for both the prestigious academic environment as well as the chance to get inside a uniquely African understanding of Christianity, hoping it would enhance his work in Ghana with Young Leaders International.



In NGO terms, Ash’s work is leadership development. Christians call it discipleship. Ash calls it “just loving on young leaders.” He goes deep with a few and I admire that approach. So I came to Ghana, among other reasons, to see what “deep with a few” looks like in an African context and to apply that to my own work with WDA. Added bonus? Sitting with some of the brightest African minds both at Akrofi and Ghana 2013.



Today, I went with a student group from Akrofi to observe the festivities surrounding a traditional Ghanaian religious holiday: Odwira. It’s a tradition purification ritual involving reconciliation within the community, invoking the ancestors, and renewing one’s covenant relationship with the divine. Odwira involves some eerie things considered demonic by many Christians. It also involves some profoundly redemptive themes: atonement, covenant, unity within community and with the divine, and how to mediate a right relationship with the supreme God, Nyankopen.



But today, it mostly involved yams and wrestling! For the last 6 weeks, yams (the traditional mainstay) have been officially banned here in Akropong while the ancestors sleep in preparation for Odwira. Long story. But when the yam is ceremonially reintroduced (coinciding with the ripening of the new yam crop), the young men battle it out over 6 new yams like a giant game of kill-the-guy-with-the-ball. I wasn’t expecting it to get quite so physical!



Returning back to the institute, I listened to an African researcher and professor—an expert on Odwira—give a 3-hour explanation of the complex tradition that left my head spinning. I oscillated between fascination and despair as I realized how little I actually understand about traditional African culture and religion. Maybe its because I’ve never spent time with traditionalists in Africa. Maybe part of me just doesn’t care enough, considering how little time I have to absorb language and culture in each new area I visit.



But today, I appreciated the depth and intellectual integrity of Dr. Afriyie as she patiently described to a room full of Christian theology students the significance of the Odwira festival without immediately jumping to missiological conclusions (though they were there in abundance). She patiently described her research process surrounding the festival and the intrinsic value of understanding the tradition. Many of us, myself included might assume that this is a “pagan” ritual, and therefore not worth understanding deeply. But I saw a greater thoughtfulness today and I liked it. Because in addition to validating some of the deeper cultural values behind Odwira, I also saw opportunities for a deeper gospel enculturation as the Ghanaian Jesus incarnates himself into the legends and lore of the Akan people: as purifier, ancestor, mediator, and friend.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog design by Get Polished | Copyright Nate Harkness 2017