“Bring them here to me.” Simple words of a sure faith. Jesus
said that just before using 5 loaves of bread to feed 5,000. “Bring what you
have and I’ll make up the difference.”
“Lord, we only have....” said the disciples. I say that a
lot too. Lord, I only have this much
money, time, energy, love, whatever. And He says, “bring them here to me.”
I’m going to Africa tomorrow and I’m excited! What started
as a little laid-back scouting trip to visit a friend and scope out his approach to discipleship in Africa has turned into an epic 10-day bonanza
including...
1. A 700-person global missions summit on discipleship and
unreached people groups at which I am now a delegate
2. Non-stop travel throughout the country
3. Meetings, interviews, and lots of really interesting
people on the cutting edge of ministry
And I found out yesterday that one of my closest (and
smartest) African friends will be coming from the UK to be at the conference! I’m amazed at how God has arranged the
pieces to get me into proximity with some of the brightest minds in my field.
This one could be a game-changer. I won’t get all health-wealthish on you. But
I think it’s really neat when God takes our little and makes it a lot.
When I go to Africa, it’s a bit like a game of chicken.
Middleclass American, meet vacuous need. Who’s going to back down first? I’ve
given up on letting need direct me. I don’t think that healthy or terribly
helpful. But as I’ve gotten to know Jesus better, I find myself in more
positions to be generous and it’s far less threatening than it used to be.
I used to travel and allegorically hold my wallet tight
against my chest the whole time. Terrified of being taken advantage of.
Terrified of finding my five little loaves stripped from me. But I’ve relaxed a
bit as I’ve gotten to know God’s heart and provision. I can listen for his
little prompts (which sound a whole lot sweeter than sales pitches and
impoverished pleas) and bring my little inadequate resources (time, energy,
resources, love) to the Father, trusting that God’s presence is the uber enough-maker.
I actually learned that from my African friends.
I’m praying a little more these days. And it seems like the
more I bring my “stuff” to Jesus, the less I worry about it running out.
No comments :
Post a Comment