7.01.2012

Home from the Hermitage


I realized that I was overwhelmed and burning out. People have been around me constantly since last August. If it’s not my own family or Debra’s parents who we live with, it’s friends, supporters, disciples, colleagues. Relationships everywhere in my life, piled up haphazardly like the boxes of unsorted papers in my father-in-law’s garage. And I needed to get away.

So I made a reservation for a hermitage. Yes, a hermitage. A tiny cottage off in the woods of a Catholic retreat center. And I went to my little cottage on Thursday. Just me and Jesus all alone without books or phones or computers or electricity or running water or… people! Nothing to entertain, nothing to distract.

And it was glorious. Absent of others, I easily shed the identity I derive from others. I took off the spiritual “business suit” I wear WAY too much and put on the comfy clothes of the immature, arrogant, whimsical, 29-year-old that I am. A humbling outfit, but refreshing in its honesty.

There in my one room cabin with the rocking chair before the picture window facing the verdant woods, I began to wind down my marathon-racing mind. Bit by bit, I started to slow down, which was kinda the point. I had nothing else to do, so I sat and zoned out, munching on the basket of bread and cheese left for me, too pooped to be spiritual or emotionally “productive”. Then as the sun sat down under the horizon, I was in bed drifting away to 11 solid hours of sleep.

The next morning, I started journaling, reading scripture, praying, listening. There was a sweet presence, a sort of low “buzz” I associate with God being really close at hand. Strange, but I didn’t once feel alone. I had a very simple confidence that the Holy Spirit was there and we carried on casual conversation all day. That’s not normal for me, but in this place, it felt appropriate. So we chatted about all kinds of things. I expressed my heartfelt gratitude for little things like the grass, the big screen porch, the flowers in the nearby prairieland, my little cup of coffee in the morning, my muffin and banana. So sweet. But just a taste of sweetness really. 24 hours is not nearly long enough for this sort of thing.

Going home, I could feel I had slowed down. People shouting, TV on, music playing, friends texting. And I developed a splitting headache. My mind struggled to jog back up to the pace of “normal” life. All day, I’ve been looking for reasons to be alone, to turn stuff off, to rest. I’ve been zoning out a lot. It’s not like me. It’s not that I feel more sage or monastic. My thoughts are as selfish as ever. It’s just that my affect is lower, my disposition a notch quieter. You might not even notice, but I do. I’m already ready for my next escape to the woods. No wonder the Jews have strict customs around the observence of the Sabbath that help them “unplug”. I’m beginning to feel this keeping pace of life is about as smart as eating McDonald’s for every meal. At least for me, I’m feeling amazed that even driving past a strip of big box stores get my nerves frazzled. You feel that way when you’ve spent a couple months in an African village. I suppose returning from the woods is a similar deal.

I'm leaving the ending of this post unwritten. Because my traipse into solitude feels very much unfinished. To be continued...

1 comment :

Blog design by Get Polished | Copyright Nate Harkness 2017