Mark 1:40-45…
40 A man with leprosy came to him and begged him on his knees, “If you are willing, you can make me clean.”
41 Jesus was indignant. He reached out his hand and touched the man. “I am willing,” he said. “Be clean!” 42 Immediately the leprosy left him and he was
cleansed.
43 Jesus sent him away at once with a strong
warning: 44 “See that you don’t tell this to anyone. But go, show yourself to the priest and offer the sacrifices that Moses commanded for your cleansing, as a testimony to them.” 45 Instead he went out and began to talk freely,
spreading the news. As a result, Jesus could no longer enter a town openly but
stayed outside in lonely places. Yet the people still came to him from
everywhere.
Believe it or not, my bible says Jesus was “filled with
compassion”, not indignant. So yesterday, I was all ready to write a blog on
the surprising compassion of Jesus when I stumbled across this newer translation.
Apparently, the words look similar in the Greek and the translation committee
had manuscripts using both words. They felt “indignant” was more appropriate to
the context of Mark’s gospel and probably a scribe, not understanding why Jesus
should be upset about healing a leper, tweaked the words to read “filled with
compassion.” I might’ve done the same thing and I have to admit I felt
“indignant” that I should have to adjust my reading of scripture here to
account for an annoyed Jesus healing a leper. Seems kind of cold doesn’t it?
Well, I’ve done some reading and to my chagrin, I’ve
concluded that indignant is probably a
good translation, but the question I have to ask is “why”? Isn’t Jesus known for his compassion with the
downtrodden? Why would he be mad that a poor beleagured soul is throwing
himself in an act of faith and reliance at the feet of the Savior? Here’s a
couple possible reasons I reject:
1. Jesus just rolled out of the wrong side of the bed that morning. I
assume that everything in this gospel is written for a reason and I can think
of a million other ways to say, “Jesus had grumpy days.” No, I think this story
is more complex than that.
2. Being Jewish, Jesus
was mad that a leper would approach him, making him ceremonially unclean. Then
why would Mark go out of the way to record that Jesus “reached out” and touched
the man? Seems like touching would be counterproductive and Jesus constantly
harps on people who just clean “the outside of the cup.”
So here are 3 reasons for Jesus’ indignance that I find
probable and consistent with the Jesus in Mark. All 3 rely on Jesus knowing how this would all play out if
he healed the man.
1.
If I heal
this man Satan will use his testimony to cloud peoples’ minds about my true
identity and mission. People already think I’m a magician and this will be one
more reason for people to love me for what I do and not for who I am. The only
way around this is if he agrees to keep his healing a secret from the crowds.
2.
If I heal
this man, the priests will be upset that I made myself ceremonially unclean
rather than understanding the significance of the fact that the work of my
Father is being done. The only way to challenge their paradigm is to send this
man to them to fulfill his religious obligation in being healed.
3.
I know
what’s in this man’s heart. He believes me for healing. But he doesn’t trust me
enough to obey my instructions. He’s going to tell everyone about this, driving
everybody away from a right understanding of who I am and what I came to do.
All these seem consistent with Jesus saying, “how long must
I put up with this generation,” or in modern English, “you guys just don’t get
it do you?” But what I see in Jesus, deeper than anger or indignance, is a
deeply principled person who, compelled by the Father’s love and the Father’s
business, rejects a number of practical considerations and does something because it's right, regardless of “what this will mean.”
Debra and I are watching MI-5 on Netflix. It’s a British TV
series in which officers of the intelligence service are constantly forced in
ethical quandaries in which functionalistic considerations are weighed against
moral standards. Usually the bad guys say things like, “nobody plays by the
rules anymore. If we insist on towing the line of ethical conduct, the nation
we’re charged to protect will be destroyed or marginalized. Scrupulous people are
naïve. We can’t afford morality. You’ve gotta break a few eggs…” Of course the
good guys are always insisting that if we lose sight of our standards, we’ve
lost something much deeper than our physical security.
That’s kind of what I see here in Jesus’ actions. He’s upset
by the rottenness of the human heart. He’s frustrated that his choice to heal a
single leper will (at least in the short run) lead to scandal and
misunderstanding rather than the redemption of people. But he looks angrily
into the face of practical considerations and flips them the bird. He must do His Father’s work. It’s who He is. He can do nothing else.
Have you ever felt like doing the “right thing” is a trap? I
have. Everytime I give a dollar to a homeless person, I feel like it’s a trap
set just for me. I feel a deep anger, an “indignance” that my compassion might
lead to dependency or empowering unhealthy choices. I hate living in a world in
which kindness can have seriously negative consequences. It so unfair. And
inevitably, the pressure of “what this will do” to the person drives me at the end of the day to
close my garage door and turn on my TV and try not to
think about it. But Jesus thinks
about it. And if I’m following Him, I’ll have
to think about it.
I’m not saying we should reject common sense or all practical considerations. But I am saying we have to stay engaged. We have to
wrestle. And at the end of the day, if we’re following Jesus, we have to choose
to be about the Father’s business, even if doing so opens a can of worms. Of
course it’ll make us angry. It SHOULD make us angry! But if we forget what the
Father is about, then we’ve forgotten
a critical part of what it means to be Christian. So here’s a refresher from
the words of Jesus:
“The Spirit of
the LORD is upon me,
for he has anointed me to bring Good News to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim that captives will be released,
that the blind will see,
that the oppressed will be set free,
and that the time of the LORD’s favor has come.”
“For judgment I have come into this world, so that
the blind will see and those who see will become blind.”
As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who
sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work.
I was just wrestling with whether to sign the petition for Pastor Saeed - He is like Paul. How much should we struggle to remove him from the place he has been sent by God? But, God is with him, and his placement is with God. I cannot not add myself to the list of those who would see him released, even while I know that the Lord may keep him where he is in order to further His work. May God be with all of these decisions and those who are called to make them. Thank you for this post. For me, it was right on time.
ReplyDeleteHi Nita! Thanks for your comment. I wasn't familiar with the situation with Pastor Saeed so I did some reading. Sounds like he's expressed gratitude toward those who signed the petition. I think he'd like to be home with his family (as I would in his shoes). There's a tension in scripture between doing good and trusting God with the outcome. The bible commands us to pray for the sick, even if we believe God may use their sickness for the greater good. Likewise we are to stand alongside the widow, fatherless, those in prison, etc. Even though God redeems evil situations, evil is still evil and we should stand against it with humility and shrewdness. I'm not sure if that petition will make a difference, but I'm hoping and praying for Pastor Saeed's safe release.
ReplyDelete