12.24.2011

Being mean to your baby, and a new song


Do you know how to make sure your baby gets a full feeding? Put a cold wet washcloth on his back. Seems cruel right? But it wakes him up so that he can eat all he wants and then he’ll sleep soundly. Most kids are half-hearted, sleepy eaters. But I understand that regular full feedings are one of the best ways to establish a normal schedule for your baby. Do you think I find a spiritual metaphor in that? You bet.

Today I’m grieving irreparable relationships. I’ve lost my share of friends over the years due to my immaturity, sustained conflict, or situations beyond anyone’s control. Conversation doesn’t typically help because at least one party has lost the strength and motivation to continue a painful relationship. God has been teaching me that these broken friendships will continue to prick at my heart for years and years and that’s okay.

It’s unbelievably uncomfortable for me to accept the idea that I can’t FIX people’s opinions of me or singlehandedly set the terms of my relationship with them. I’ve tried to hash things out so many times, believing that if people just understood my heart, they’d like me. Problem is, sometimes my heart comes up lacking. Other times, these people just don’t give a damn.  Typically, I can’t really blame them.

I feel like God said to me today, “I gave you relationships you can’t fix,” as though that were some kind of Christmas present. I felt like He was asking me to let myself feel the loss of relationship AND the loss of personal control over other people. It an amazingly humbling process. And not to over-spiritualize it, but I do feel like it forces me into a desperate place of needing the nourishment that only Father can give. It wakes me up from my sleepy delusions of self-sufficiency. It draws me close to my emotional and spiritual food source. It reminds me to eat.

I wrote a song about this combined with what I was reading in Mark 4. I recorded it and posted it to bandcamp. It’s totally worth a listen if ONLY for the ending where Annabel interrupts and starts talking to me about the baby. You can listen to it for free at…


If you’re interested in the lyrics, here they are!

You’re hand is like a wet
Cold cloth on my warm bare back

And I start awake
Latching on, drawing life from your breast from your veins

You said if seed falls to the ground
And dies it comes around to life
And spreads a thousand seeds to find
The fertile soil, the tilled and toiled

You said a lamp should never hide
The light in camps of darkness where
The blind have stumbled on for ages
Tearing pages from their minds

And if the smallest seed could sleep
In richest beds and start to root
With mighty branches reaching up
It makes a shady place to rest

And oh…
I will be whole
I will be home
I’ll be with the Lord
And be forgiven

1 comment :

  1. Hey, just now found your blog. Very profound stuff. This post particularly hit me because I spend a lot of time thinking about my relationships with others, and I find it hard to cut off relationships that may need to be cut off. So I resonate with you on this. It's a thing that requires complete trust in God and yet is very scary at the same time.
    --N5

    ReplyDelete

Blog design by Get Polished | Copyright Nate Harkness 2017