12.28.2011

What's in a Role: Are you my Mentor?


There’s some confusion about what discipleship is and what it isn’t. Some people feel that disciple-building relationships deal with mentoring between a wise elder and a young person. Others feel it’s more like “friendship with a purpose.” Personally, I’m flexible. I find that people raised in conservative circles often like the power differentiation of the mentoring relationships while others find it a bit alienating. When I’m entering a discipling relationship, I typically withhold judgment about the role I can play in this person’s life until I’ve met with him several times. I may never verbalize a label for a relationship unless he asks. But if I do, I find it helpful to bear three things in mind:

1.     Roles can be freeing. I’ve been able to pour tons of quality time into people I wouldn’t typically connect with simply because I don’t expect them to meet my needs. A young guy once said, “I feel bad that we meet every week and just talk about me. Don’t you want me to ask some questions about your life?” To which I responded, “You can ask me anything you’d like, but I want you to know that I’m here for you. I don’t expect you to be there for me.” That freed both of us from the obligation to build a two-sided friendship and allowed us to focus on his personal growth. I didn't have to worry about whether he was meeting my needs.

2.     Roles can be crippling. I’ll be the first to admit that my tendency to slap roles on all my relationships has sometimes isolated me and driven me back and forth between self-loathing and pride. Are you worth my time? Am I worth your time? In my life, simple friendships are hard to find partially because I turn all potential friendships into work. To relax, trust, receive care, and engage as a peer is a struggle that deprives me of meaningful community. After an initial meeting with one such friend, I discovered through a mutual friend that his primary reaction was, “dude. You don’t have to be on the clock with me.”

3.     Roles can be organic. This was SO fun for me to discover. At the end of last year’s men’s group, I was spent. I had met semi-regularly with 10 guys primarily as a leader, an advocate, but not as a friend. Exhausted I told my co-leader, Mike, “I really like you. I want to hang out with you. But I can’t handle deep conversations right now. How do you feel about video games?” True to his word, Mike and I spent several afternoons mindlessly playing games, eating Pakistani food, and cultivating a deep kinship that lasts to this day. Likewise, the day I moved away from Chicago, I called one of my guys and we chatted on the phone for two hours... primarily about me. The whole time, I was thinking, “wow, I actually really enjoy this guy!” Similar things have happened with at least two or three other guys. Having cared for them, they grow and begin to care for me, becoming great advocates and dear friends.

I like roles. I really do. But I’m finding it necessary to hold them loosely. Sometimes it’s the people I’ve cared for in the past who are best able to care for me.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog design by Get Polished | Copyright Nate Harkness 2017