12.05.2011

"Occupy Ancient Israel" with Ezekiel the Hipster


I am a white, American, educated, young, healthy, straight, married, middle-class, Christian male. I am the envy of the world, the cream of the crop, the top 1% of the global caste system. I have good intentions and hope to have an influence for good in the world. But the responsibility of the influence I already have by virtue of being born is overwhelming. I turn on the TV, drive through downtown, travel the world and I’m absolutely overwhelmed with the need I see. “Surly,” I say, “I wasn’t made to feel this level of obligation or guilt!” So I’m driven to a cloistered suburban existence to escape the desperation surrounding me. I’ve perfected those weathered “isn’t-that-sad” and “what-can-you-do” looks.

I like the attitude of Jesus toward the poor: unthreatened yet unfazed. He could seamlessly navigate the social spectrum. Ironically, he didn’t have a “messiah complex” toward the poor. But he did have a knack for bringing the marginalized into the foreground. I find that radical tension compelling, but I’m unable to do it. I’m alternately consumed with guilt or apathy.

But while obligation can be toxic, I’ve been transfixed by the prophetic admonitions of Ezekiel in the Old Testament about the poor, widows, and aliens (not the green kind). I’m afraid we might be repeating history here.

“There is a conspiracy of [Israel’s] princes within her like a roaring lion tearing its prey; they devour people, take treasures and precious things and make many widows within her… The people of the land practice extortion and commit robbery; they oppress the poor and needy and mistreat the alien, denying them justice. I looked for a man among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it, but I found none.” (Ez. 25-30)

Do I do that? Do I mistreat the marginalized and extort the poor? Not consciously, no. But in my lifestyle, I give a passive nod to a status quo that encourages dishonest gains and wealth building on the backs of the poor and desperate. I have heard several lines to redirect guilt in my own head and on the lips of others:

*The urban poor lack work ethic and therefore become leeches on the system. Why give them jobs and education opportunities since their deficiencies are culturally hardwired and they are bound to disappoint?
*If an immigrant comes here illegally why should he enjoy the same wages, benefits, and equality as legal citizens? That’s the natural consequence of his illegal behavior.
*5 families crowded into one house? Well they’re not American, so that’s “normal” to them.
*I’M not a slave-owner, loan-shark, or sweatshop manager! These are the sad realities of life so what am I supposed to do? I’m just trying to get along and raise my family, make an honest living, or _______ (insert what you’re “trying to do” here).

In this ONE area, I deeply appreciate the Occupy movement. They’re not afraid to stand up in all their powerlessness and say, “we’re not okay with corruption, injustice, or abusive capitalism.” They’re willing to stand up to those who cheated their way to the top and demand equity.  I respect that, and for that reason alone, I’d willingly camp out at the capital. (Oh wait… I forgot. They’re just jealous hipsters, hoping some wall street brokers will come along and write them into their wills.)

Seriously though, the finger pointing back at us is this: If you can drive your own car to an Occupy protest, you are NOT the 99%. Globally, you are the 1%.  If you have 3 square organic meals daily and a yurt to shelter you at night and an herbalist to cure what ails you, then YOU my friend, ARE “The Man.”  This is the great irony and hypocrisy of middle-class social activism in America.

But I’ve found that even if my generation is broadly hypocritical, we are also hardwired by advertising and pluralism with the most finely-tuned bullshit radars in the world. We know when we’re being fed a line and get pretty pissed about it.

I wish the church had beat the hipsters to the punch. I wish the churches in this country would stand at the front lines against extortion rather than excuse or ignore it for the sake of the tithing members sitting in the pews.

I’m still not sure what I’m supposed to do. Even as I type, I’m wearing a great “well-isn’t-that-just-life” look. But fully aware of my own hypocrisy, I’ll still stand up alongside Ezekiel and other Old Testament prophets to demand justice, seek solidarity with the marginalized, love the poor, and pray for the world. Anyways, it’s a start.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog design by Get Polished | Copyright Nate Harkness 2017